This week’s CSA was full of yummy root vegetables again, and I decided to see how turnips would work out in a carrot ginger soup. Here’s what I did:
1. Warm a large pot over medium heat, and melt about a tablespoon of coconut oil. Add minced ginger, minced garlic, and diced onions.
2. Add chopped carrots and turnips.
3. Let it cook for a bit on medium heat, till the edges of everything soften a little. Add celery and cook for 5 minutes or so more.
4. Add 3 cups of chicken stock and bring to a boil.
6. Mince and add 1/3 of a jalapeño (because this one was so hot!!), salt, and pepper.
7. Simmer for about 2 hours.
I just sampled it, and think it’s tastier than any other carrot-based soup I’ve made to date. I think I might be pro-turnip for soups.
Ingredients: 5 carrots, 4 stalks celery, 4 turnips, coconut oil, ginger, 5 cloves garlic, jalapeño, 1 yellow onion, chicken stock, salt pepper